Uganda Visa For South African Citizens - Requirements & Fees
Uganda is called a wildlife paradise for reasons: immense meadows from over the country, diverse ethnic cultures, various animal species, and majestic nature. Therefore, many people choose Uganda as a popular travel destination.
However, there is a thing that stops tourists from traveling to Uganda, and that is the problem with entrance approval documents. You will have to spend time and expenses to get a visa to Uganda. So what is a solution? The answer is Uganda electronic visa (e-visa).
For your information, excluding people from countries on the visa-exemption list, citizens from over 150 countries can apply for an Uganda e-Visa, including South African citizens.
So, How to apply for a visa to Uganda from South Africa? With Uganda Immigration Services, you will learn more about how to apply for an Uganda visa for South African citizens, as well as the requirements and costs.
1. Do South African Citizens Need A Visa To Uganda?
Yes, passengers traveling to Uganda with a South African passport must have a valid visa.
South African citizens can use an Uganda electronic visa (e-Visa) when visiting Uganda on vacation or for other short-term visits.
The short online application is the fastest and most convenient method of obtaining an Uganda visa for South African citizens.
Now, there are 03 types of Uganda e-visa for South African citizens you can choose from:
- Tourist e-visa: you can use this type to enter Uganda within 90 days from the date of your arrival.
- Transit e-visa: with this type of e-visa, you can stay in Uganda for up to 07 days from the date of your arrival.
- East Africa e-visa: with this type of e-visa, you are allowed to enter 03 countries: Uganda, Kenya, and Rwanda in total. You can stay for up to 90 days and can enter many times you wish, and the entry starts in Uganda.
If South African citizen wishes to relocate to Uganda or work there for a living, they must first visit a Ugandan embassy or consulate to obtain the necessary visas and permits.
2. Uganda Visa Requirements For South African Citizens
In general, the application process for the Uganda e-visa is easier and faster than the regular type. There are some documents you need to provide to apply for an Uganda e-visa for South African citizens.
When applying for an e-Visa for Uganda, South African travelers must comply with a few requirements. Here's a list of what you'll need to provide:
- A legal South African passport that is valid for at least 06 months from the date of your arrival.
- Your portrait photograph in any version.
- Flight ticket (for East Africa visa): to prove you will not overstay in Uganda for any reason.
3. How To Apply For An Uganda e-Visa From South Africa
The visa application form generally takes no more than 15 minutes to complete. This form is very simple to understand, so it shouldn't take you long to complete applying for an Uganda visa for South African citizens.
- The first step is to enter your personal information, but you must also select a visa type and processing time.
- The second request is that you make the payment and revise step one.
- Depending on your situation, the final step will require you to upload some additional documents. After that, you apply and wait for the visa to arrive via e-mail in PDF format.
After submitting the Uganda e-Visa application, South African travelers will receive the travel permit via email.
The e-Visa will be sent to the email address provided in the online application form.
4. Uganda e-Visa Fee For South African Citizens
Uganda Immigration Services is very proud of its ability to provide excellent service at reasonable prices. The cost of your visa is determined by the type of visa you select as well as the processing time you select.
To apply for an Uganda visa for South African citizens online, you have to pay two (02) kinds of Visa fees, which were called Service Fee and Government Fees. In addition, you can add a small fee for travel insurance and COVID-19 insurance to keep your benefits when traveling abroad.
For the government fee, it is compulsory because South Africa is not on the exemption list of Uganda.
For the visa processing time (Rush visa) fee, there are 03 options for you, depending on the range of processing time you want:
- Normal: you will receive your e-visa result within 03 business days when you use this service type.
- Urgent: with this type of service, you will receive your e-visa within 48 hours.
- Super urgent: this type of service is the highest priority for you because you will receive your e-visa within just 24 business hours.
Payment method: you can pay your receipt in 02 ways: electronic payment (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or Paypal) or wire transfer (HSBC banking transfer).
Uganda Visa Requirements for South Africa Citizens FAQs
Yes, South African citizens need a visa to enter Uganda. At the Uganda Immigration Services, we offer an e-visa service that allows South African nationals to obtain their visa electronically before traveling to Uganda. The e-visa simplifies the application process and saves time at the port of entry.
South Africans can now submit applications for an Uganda visa online, saving time and money compared to going to an embassy. Uganda eVisas are available in three types: transit, tourist, and East Africa eVisa. The short visa application procedure takes only a few minutes for applicants.
South African passport holders are allowed to obtain a visa on arrival in Uganda. However, visa regulations can change over time, so it's essential to verify this information with the official Ugandan authorities or their consulates/embassies before traveling. It's recommended to check the most up-to-date visa requirements to ensure a smooth entry into Uganda. You can visit the Ugandan government's official website or contact their diplomatic missions for the latest information on visa policies.
For an e-visa to Uganda, visit the Uganda Immigration Services website or contact us for more information and further assistance.
Generally, the Uganda e-visa is valid for 90 days, however, depending on the purposes of your trip, you may need to consider the appropriate type of an e-visa and its requirements. At present, the Ugandan government provides 03 types of e-visas for Uganda for South Africans:
- Tourist e-visa: Valid for 90 days from the date of issue. This is a single-entry e-visa that allows visitors to enter Uganda for tourism, and leisure purposes.
- East Africa e-visa: This e-visa type allows multiple entries to Uganda, Kenya, and Rwanda, and is valid for 90 days. This e-visa cannot be extended. Visitors can travel around the 3 countries for tourism and vacation purposes.
- Transit e-visa: Designed for travelers passing through Uganda to another destination and is valid for 07 days. However, visitors are permitted to engage in tourist activities during 07 periods.
Do note that the e-visa generally permits tourism and leisure purposes. Therefore, any form of employment activity is forbidden. For more details about tourist e-visa, please navigate to Uganda Immigration Services.
Before beginning the e-visa application to Uganda, it is strongly recommended that applicants should review the prerequisites carefully.
In this section, we will provide the basic requirements for an Uganda e-visa. Ensure to have the following documents obtained to minimize the troubles that may arise during the process:
- A valid passport with a minimum of 6 months validity from the date of entry. It is necessary to have at least a blank page on the passport for visa stamping as well.
- Recent passport-sized photograph. The photo must also be on a white background.
- Return flight schedule or proof of travel arrangements. This information may be required to ensure that you will not overstay in the country.
- Proof of accommodation in Uganda, such as hotel reservations or invitation letters from hosts.
- A credit or debit card is required as a payment method for the e-visa fee. Check more info on Uganda e-visa fees.
- Proof of Yellow Fever certification: this document is REQUIRED in order to access Uganda.
Once you have completed the requirements, proceed to "Apply Visa" here!
Yes, South African citizens can apply for a Uganda e-visa online through the Uganda Immigration Services website. In this section, we will demonstrate 4 simple steps to complete an Uganda e-visa application. The process is convenient and straightforward:
- Step 1: Access our website, within the homepage, navigate to “Apply Visa“.
- Step 2: Fill out the e-visa application form with accurate details. Upload the required documents and photographs.
- Step 3: Ensure to double-check and make sure that the information you provide is correct and up-to-date.
- Step 4: Complete the application by submitting the form and the e-visa fees, and wait for the approval notification via email.
Once the application is through, allow it 03 business days to process. If approved, a confirmation email will be sent along with a reference number. Applicants can use this information to track their visa application through “Check Status”.
Generally, the e-visa processing time for Uganda takes approximately 03 working days. The processing time service, or Rush Visa service offers three options for South African citizens:
- Standard Processing: The standard processing takes 03 business days and costs $69. This is the most affordable option for travelers.
- Rush Processing: For urgent processing, consider choosing Rush Processing which takes 02 business days and costs $79.
- Super Rush Processing: If you need your visa urgently within 24 hours, this service is the fastest service we provide, and guarantees your e-visa approval within 24 working hours. However, this service costs $99.
Applicants should consider and choose carefully the processing time that suits their travel plans and budget. Moreover, keep in mind that applicants must pay the Government fee and Service fee when applying for an e-visa. The service fee includes the Rush Visa service fee as well.
For e-visa payments, applicants can select one of the following methods
- Online payments: We accept Visa, Master, American Express, and Paypal.
- For wire transfers: Our system accepts the Bank of Cyprus.